Getting a good night’s sleep is crucial for both physical and mental health, but many of us struggle to get the quality rest we need. While there are plenty of tips and tricks out there for improving sleep, some lesser-known methods can be just as effective. Here are some surprising tricks you may not have heard of for better sleep.
1. Try a weighted blanket: Weighted blankets have become popular in recent years for their ability to provide a comforting sensation that can help soothe anxiety and calm the nervous system. The added weight can also mimic the feeling of being hugged or held, which can promote feelings of safety and security.
2. Practice progressive muscle relaxation: This technique involves tensing and relaxing each muscle group in your body, one at a time, in order to release tension and promote relaxation. It can be done lying down or sitting up and takes just a few minutes to complete.
3. Use aromatherapy: Essential oils like lavender, chamomile, and bergamot have been shown to have calming effects on the body. Diffusing these oils in your bedroom or applying them topically before bed can help create a relaxing environment that promotes sleep.
4. Incorporate white noise: Ambient noise like traffic, sirens, or even a partner’s snoring can disrupt sleep. Using a white noise machine or app can help drown out these sounds and create a consistent, soothing background noise that can improve sleep quality.
5. Avoid blue light before bed: The blue light emitted by electronic devices like phones, tablets, and computers can interfere with the body’s natural sleep cycle. Try to avoid using these devices for at least an hour before bed, or use a blue light filter to reduce the impact.
By incorporating these lesser-known sleep tricks into your routine, you may find that you’re able to get a better night’s sleep and wake up feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. Give them a try and see how they work for you!